Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Lévis

Lévis' geographic location made it a place of transit. In the 19th century, maritime transport led industry to set up business on the St. Lawrence River's coastline. In 1854, railroad activity progressively supplanted the declining maritime transportation industry and Lévis became a requisite stop on the way to Québec City until the inauguration of the Québec City Bridge in 1917. Lévis' urban character became increasingly apparent as economic activity thrived. Hotels, banks and merchants settled close to the industries, in the vicinity of the port and railway station, while shops were set up in the upper part of the city, close to the Côte du Passage. Until the 1950s, this neighbourhood drew a vast clientele.

At the end of the 1950s, the Rond-Point sector quickly expanded beyond the downtown area. Located off road 2, which leads to Québec City, it attracted businesses as new residential neighbourhoods were built. The newly opened Sainte-Foy shopping centres drew the Lévis population who could now easily reach the north shore via the Pierre-Laporte Bridge. Not before the 1970s did construction of the first shopping centres in Lévis allow its inhabitants to shop in their own municipality.

 

 

 

Self-guided tour - Lévis - Click to download the video.

The ferry service, established as early as 1818 and still in use today, perfectly symbolizes the close link between Québec City and Lévis. Extrait de La région de Québec
1970
Clovis Durand
BAnQ, Centre d'archives de Québec
Fonds Ministère de la Culture et des Communications - Série Office du film du Québec
E6,S7, FC2003-093

Site Map.