Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Alma

In the middle of the 20th century, Saint-Joseph-d'Alma arose under the impetus of the forest industry. In 1923, it had a mere 1,000 inhabitants, all of whom lived around the church, while, ten years later, its population had doubled. The construction of a power plant in 1924 attracted new industries and many workers to the region. Saint-Joseph-d'Alma enjoyed a period of economic prosperity and took on an urban character. The financial crisis of the 1930s, however, strained the spirit of optimism.

During the Second World War (1939-1945), the increased demand for aluminium revived the city's business activity when it acquired an aluminium smelter. New neighbourhoods appeared and, in 1954, the city shortened its name to Alma. Twelve years later, it merged with the towns of Naudville, Riverbend and Isle-Maligne to become the City of Alma. The new city was rapidly modernized with the laying out of Boulevard des Cascades and, especially, the construction of its first shopping centre, Plaza d'Alma.

 

 

 

Click the picture to enlarge.
Self-guided tour - Alma - Click to enlarge
Distant view of Saint-Joseph-d'Alma

Distant view of Saint-Joseph-d'AlmaVers 1910
Photographe inconnu
BAnQ, Centre d'archives du Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean
Collection Société historique du Saguenay
P2,S7,D7.1,P41

Self-guided Tour - Alma - Click to enlarge
Distant view of Saint-Joseph-d'Alma
Site Map.