Maximum number of items
Your subscriber's card lets you check out up to 25 items, but no more than:
- 10 fiction films
- 10 nonfiction films
- 10 music CDs
- 10 pieces of software
- 10 language learning methods
- 10 magazines intended for adults
- 5 roadmaps or tourist attraction maps
- 2 video games
- 25 items on any other medium or of any other type
Subscribers can borrow materials that are part of the Grande Bibliothèque's Universal circulating collection and are available for loan.
The loan of an item can be denied for the following reasons:
- The Iris catalogue does not list the item as "Available" or "Available upon request".
- The item is reference material: it is labelled "Référence".
- The item is a newspaper or the current issue of a periodical.
- You have borrowed the maximum number of items permitted (by category or in all).
- You are a child subscriber and therefore cannot borrow items from the adult collection.
- The balance of your account is too high ($5 for children, $10 for adults).
- Your subscription has expired.
- Your record is not in good standing.
The loan period is 21 days for most items, except for films for subscribers 14 years and older (7 days).
Television series and full-length feature films, identified by a sticker indicating “Prêt 21 jours”, can be borrowed for 21 days.
Late fees are charged for borrowed materials that have not been returned by the due date.
In the summertime, i.e. June 1 to September 30, upon request at the ground floor service desk, you can obtain a holiday loan for a period of 6 weeks (42 days). Holiday loans cannot be renewed.
You can borrow up to 25 items at a time as a holiday loan.
Note that the following materials are not available for holiday loan:
- reserved materials
- films and TV series for adults
- video games
A transaction slip is issued when you check out materials at the ground floor service desk or at self-checkout stations. Keep the slip until you return the items. The slip specifies the following:
- the date and time when the slip was printed
- your family name(s) and given name(s)
- a list of all the items you have borrowed, with the following information for each of them:
- type of material
- due date
- the total number of items borrowed
Example of a transaction slip issued at the ground floor service desk
Example of a transaction slip issued at a self-checkout station
The service desk
The service desk is located on the street level of the Grande Bibliothèque. When you present your subscriber's card at the desk, you can:
- borrow all types of materials available for loan;
- renew your loans;
- pay late fees;
- report lost or damaged materials and pay the related costs.
Self-checkout stations are located on every level of the Grande Bibliothèque.
Using your subscriber's card and password at self-checkout stations, you can:
- borrow all types of materials available for loan except audio cassettes (checkout at the ground floor service desk only);
- renew loan of materials.
Checkout procedure at self-checkout stations
- Place your subscriber's card on the cradle, back of the card facing upwards.
- Enter your password.
- Submit one item at a time, gently sliding it to the back of the cradle.
- Remove the item when your hear the validation signal ("toc").
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each item.
- Click on Print and exit or on Exit without printing to end your session.
You can view an animated demonstration [in French only] of the checkout and renewal procedure at self-checkout station.