Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Let's Go Shopping > Self-Guided Tour > Trois-Rivières
Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Trois-Rivières

Located at the confluence of the St Maurice and St Lawrence rivers, Trois-Rivières benefited from the lumber trade starting as soon as the middle of the 19th century. The seasonal influx of forestry workers supported the development of various sectors, like the hotel and retail trade.

Trois-Rivières' resolutely urban character did not emerge before the beginning of the 20th century. The arrival of industry, especially pulp and paper mills, caused a rural exodus. Workers settled in the city and the population increased from 10,000 to 35,000 inhabitants between 1901 and 1931.

The new century's economic prosperity and demographic growth buoyed the development of retail trade. The Rue des Forges became the main commercial street. In the 1950s, the widespread use of the automobile paved the way to the city's expansion outside the industrial zone. New neighbourhoods developed on the outskirts of Trois-Rivières, and businesses soon followed. Shopping centres providing customers with a new way of shopping became popular.

 

 

Click the picture to enlarge.
Self-guided tour - Trois-Rivières - Click to enlarge
The Trois-Rivières post office was built in 1916 after the 1908 fire destroyed the post office on rue Notre-Dame.

The Trois-Rivières post office was built in 1916 after the 1908 fire destroyed the post office on rue Notre-Dame. Vers 1930
Photogelatine Engraving Co.
BAnQ, Centre d'archives de Québec
Collection Magella Bureau
P547,S1,SS1,SSS1,D697,P63

Self-guided Tour - Trois-Rivières - Click to enlarge
The Trois-Rivières post office was built in 1916 after the 1908 fire destroyed the post office on rue Notre-Dame.
Site Map.