Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Rouyn

 

The urban history of Rouyn began with the discovery in the second decade of the 20th century of copper deposits. From 1925 onwards, the railway transported copper ore and facilitated the arrival of workers. A number of immigrants tried their luck. The mining region's acknowledged prosperity increased the population, from 3,225 inhabitants in 1931 to 14,633 in 1951.

 

During the 1930s and 1940s, neighbourhoods appeared around rue Perrault and rue Principale to welcome the mainly immigrant population. In addition to hotels, businesses, banks and theatres were built in the commercial core of Rouyn. Following the difficult years of the Great Depression, World War II revived the economy. Commercial streets again became prosperous until the advent of shopping centres in the early 1970s. In 1986, the cities of Rouyn and Noranda merged to form Rouyn-Noranda.

 

 

 

 

Click the picture to enlarge.
Self-guided tour - Rouyn - Click to enlarge
The initial commercial core comprised several businesses, in particular Jos Dumulon's general store, the post office, the Hôtel Osisko and the Meat Market.

The initial commercial core comprised several businesses, in particular Jos Dumulon's general store, the post office, the Hôtel Osisko and the Meat Market. Vers 1925
Vavasour & Dick
Fonds Métallurgie Noranda inc., Fonderie Horne
Centre d'archives de l'Abitibi-Témiscamingue et du Nord-du-Québec
P123,S1,P43

Self-guided Tour - Rouyn - Click to enlarge
The initial commercial core comprised several businesses, in particular Jos Dumulon's general store, the post office, the Hôtel Osisko and the Meat Market.
Site Map.