Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Rimouski

 

At the turn of the 20th century, Rimouski became the regional capital of the Bas-Saint-Laurent region. The arrival in 1875 of rail service, which was added to maritime transport, fostered the development of industry, especially the wood industry. The presence of industries and institutions attracted workers. Rimouski became urbanized and the number of residents increased, from 1,804 to 5,589 between 1901 and 1931.

 

In the first half of the 20th century, small businesses set up operations on rue Saint-Germain. In the 1920s, outside chain stores appeared. Merchants served the urban population and the population of surrounding rural areas. In 1969, the construction of La Grande Place, a shopping centre, in the west end of the city, changed Rimouski residents' consumption habits.

 

 

 

 

Click the picture to enlarge.
Self-guided tour - Rimouski - Click to enlarge
The changes occurred in the east end of the city on the old sandbanks in front of the cathedral. Inaugurated in 1969, La Grande Place shopping centre was the first in Canada to be built on pilings. This architectural innovation allowed for the construction of a parking lot under the building.

The changes occurred in the east end of the city on the old sandbanks in front of the cathedral. Inaugurated in 1969, La Grande Place shopping centre was the first in Canada to be built on pilings. This architectural innovation allowed for the construction of a parking lot under the building. 1993
Jean-Marie Cossette
BAnQ, Centre d'archives de Montréal
Fonds Point du Jour Aviation
P690,S1,D93-522-97

Self-guided Tour - Rimouski - Click to enlarge
The changes occurred in the east end of the city on the old sandbanks in front of the cathedral. Inaugurated in 1969, La Grande Place shopping centre was the first in Canada to be built on pilings. This architectural innovation allowed for the construction of a parking lot under the building.
Site Map.