Français

Let's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping CentreLet's Go Shopping: From Main Street to the Shopping Centre

Punaise
Punaise

Self-Guided Tour - Rimouski

 

At the turn of the 20th century, Rimouski became the regional capital of the Bas-Saint-Laurent region. The arrival in 1875 of rail service, which was added to maritime transport, fostered the development of industry, especially the wood industry. The presence of industries and institutions attracted workers. Rimouski became urbanized and the number of residents increased, from 1,804 to 5,589 between 1901 and 1931.

 

In the first half of the 20th century, small businesses set up operations on rue Saint-Germain. In the 1920s, outside chain stores appeared. Merchants served the urban population and the population of surrounding rural areas. In 1969, the construction of La Grande Place, a shopping centre, in the west end of the city, changed Rimouski residents' consumption habits.

 

 

 

 

Click the picture to enlarge.
Self-guided tour - Rimouski - Click to enlarge
This advantageously located city was a hub for trade because of its wharf, built in 1855, and the rail service introduced in 1873.

This advantageously located city was a hub for trade because of its wharf, built in 1855, and the rail service introduced in 1873. Vers 1895
L. O. Vallée, photographe
BAnQ, Centre d'archives de Québec
Collection Magella Bureau
P547,S1,SS1,SSS1,D366,P189

Self-guided Tour - Rimouski - Click to enlarge
This advantageously located city was a hub for trade because of its wharf, built in 1855, and the rail service introduced in 1873.
Site Map.